Thursday, January 7, 2010

It's Not About You

"It's not about you." It's been a while since I've read it, but I believe that those four little words are the first four words of Rick Warren's book The Purpose Driven Life. They should start prefacing the Bible with those four words, too! It's not about you... it's about God! (Okay, that was seven words!)

I am currently reading a book called I Can't See God...'Cause I'm In The Way. Today's chapter was about how we look at how Scripture is relevent to our lives today. Take, for example, 1 Samuel 17... the story of and unlikely hero, David and his adversary, Goliath. Let's start with Mr. Superhero, David. What was that? David wasn't a superhero? I'm sorry, I just thought... I mean, when I've read it before, that's always how I saw him. And what about Goliath? It's just rude to actually prepare to fight a little boy with a slingshot. I mean, come on. You can't be serious? But isn't that your typical underdog story?

But whose story is it, really? I think that sometimes we look at what's in the foreground of Scripture in an effort to apply it to our lives. Sure, David had confidence that the Lord was going to deliver this giant into his hands. And of course, God does want us to take that away from the story....to put all of our confidence in Him. But the real hero here was God, not David! He had this from the beginning. He knew what the outcome of this fight was going to be even if David believed it or not.

So keep that in mind the next time you are reading a passage of Scripture that seems to make absolutely no sense whatsoever and seems to have no relevance to your life. Look at it from God's point-of-view. I believe that God gives us these passages so that we are reminded that "it's not about us"... It's ALL about Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment